Sunday, January 8, 2017

Ketogenic Diet and Weight Loss

When I broke my femur, I knew the inflammation and pain was the worst I ever experienced.  The doctor did not prescribe a CRP blood test which was a significant test for inflammation.  Inflammation is a contributing factor for me in weight gain and can be a contributing factor for autoimmune disease, cancer, bone loss, etc.  I found in my research that a Ketogenic diet is the best diet to fight inflammation.  Research shows that on average three times more weight is lost on a Ketogenic diet than low fat diet.  It has lowered triclycerides and blood sugar better and has better compliance than a low fat diet.  In addition, it is about equal in decreasing bad cholesterol and fat loss.  In a 20 year study of 82, 800 women which compared lower carbohydrate diets and heart disease, it was found that lower carbohydrate diets that were high in vegetable sources of fat or protein had a 30% lower risk of heart disease, and approximately 20% lower risk of Type 2 diabetes compared to women who ate high carbohydrate, low fat diets.  But women who ate low carbohydrate diets that were high in animal fats or proteins did not see any such benefits.

A low carbohydrate diet can be described as 50-100 grams of carbohydrates a day.  This amount of carbohydrates did not work for me. I had to stay under 30 grams in order to lose weight, keep my blood pressure and blood sugar normal and lose inches.  I only lost 20 pounds but went down 6 dress sizes.  My diet usually consists of 3/4 low carbohydrate vegetables and 1/4 protein source. If I do not use enough good fats (coconut oil, ghee, avocados) in my diet, I do not lose weight either.  Since my blood sugar spiked after surgery, I was told that I was diabetic and I had to use a glucometer to check my blood sugar.  I found that even low carbohydrate fruit (berries) increased my blood sugar by 30 points.  I am severely carbohydrate sensitive like many of my customers who can't lose weight.  I also drink enough pure water, never diet pop, to keep urine light yellow.  I have not had to use any pain medication except curcumin and boswellia (Europharma works best for me) since I started this diet.  My customers have asked "Can my knee pain be better in 2 weeks?" Amazing.

If I eat too many carbohydrates, I am really hungry for the next 2 days. Make sure to let your doctor know that you are on a Ketogenic diet because your diabetic or blood pressure medication may need to be lowered.Thanks for reading our blog, and if you like what you hear, make sure you LIKE us on Facebook and check out our website www.comfreycornernaturalfoods.com.


*Please note that although we are highly trained in natural medicine, we are not doctors and are not able to diagnose or prescribe.*


Sources:https://wwhsph.harvard.edu/nutritionalsources/carbohydrate/lowcarbohydrate-diets/

-A new major study-a low carb diet yet again best for both weight and health markers-Diet Doctor

-A low carbohydrate, Ketogenic diet versus a low fat diet to treat obesity and hyperlipidemia - a randomized controlled trial - PubMed - NCBI

-A randomized trial comparing low fat and low carbohydrate diets matched for energy and protein - PubMed - NCBI

-New Major Study funded by the American tax payers through the National Institute for Health oover a 1 year period.

No comments:

Post a Comment